Thursday 19 November 2009

Free at Last...

Well not quite!

The good news is my proposal has been registered , no amendments or rewrites, huge relief. This means I have to do this thing and I feel like I am looking down a long, long tunnel desperately trying to see the end. At this point that's not what I should be thinking about but some thoughts just won't be banished!

The Friday before submission the RPT's had an informal presentation to each other as a good practice exercise. In the course of the presentations it became very clear that the more mature amongst the group had a similar driver, even though I don't think we had actually recognised it.

The need we all expressed, interestingly I thought, was creativity.

We had had career's in areas we had trained for........making us the lucky ones when you think of how few jobs there ever are, we weren't unhappy or necessarily unfulfilled yet this "itch" had imposed itself on us and brought us back to University.

It was Yvonne who pointed it out, (thanks Yvonne sometimes you just don't see what is in front of your nose!) and the more it goes around in my head the more true it becomes! That just leaves one, question why do I think there is some untapped well of creativity as yet unnoticed by anyone (myself included!!)?

Honestly............I don't! I don't know if it is there, or even what it really is. I do know I am sick and tired of wondering whether I just didn't have the talent to be able to really push myself, or just couldn't decide to take the risks. I am a good knitter, I understand knitted fabrics I can develop work intuitively and responsively so now I need to look at how to pull that into something I can build on.

The plan of action is to work on silhouette on the stand....play with shape and continue developing fabrics along side. I have not worked like this before, I am used to either being given a shape and designing a fabric to fit or having a fabric and cutting it into a shape ,and it intrigues me. I am starting to think about yarns, but not colour. And finally I am getting my hands on the power machines!!

Oh and it looks like I am going New York in February.......looks like I am finally breaking bad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment