Tuesday 3 November 2009

Feeling back in control...

Another meeting with Julie yesterday and (finally) I am doing this, it's not doing me!

I have a handle on the theory of research and more importantly how I can use it as a tool rather than be held hostage by it!

My proposal needs a couple of tweaks and it will be done and this whole thing now has a shape I can begin to identify with.

If anyone ever reads this and finds themselves in a position where they are struggling this is what helped me:

  • Read outside your area, sometimes theory is easier to understand when it is written for other disciplines as it is described in different language, just because a book has been written for you doesn't mean you will feel any empathy with it. In fact it can make you more insecure because you feel you should understand it better and you just don't!
  • Talk to everyone, I am part time so don't have a 'class' I belong to so felt I was the only one struggling. I wasn't, everyone was in the same boat. You have a mouth use it to communicate!
  • Don't retreat into your shell, you will go mad. Say things you may feel are to stupid to say out loud it's not stupid not to know stuff it's stupid not to ask! You are doing this to learn and sometimes you have to take a risk and feel a bit silly. These conversations are part of the process and they may lead somewhere constructive.

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment