Monday 19 October 2009

Light........?

Today was an interesting day (I use the term interesting more and more....like Alice down the rabbit hole).

Second meeting with Julie and I think I have isolated a research question...."How can designer led innovation effect the the development and use of knitting machine technology?" It seems to sum up the questions that bug me, and the issue that brought me here. It also lends itself to a suck it and see methodology which is how fabric development works. So that is good as I am facing forward now.

The other thing that happened was less comforting in many ways. It was a lecture with Carole Gray, and it left me with a few questions. Primarily, is it possible that Art and Design has allowed the Academic Establishment to define research in a way that legitimises it in the establishments terms leaving the Designer Practitioner explaining their contribution within a framework that is not natural to the context of their work? I guess this possibly derives from the vocabulary that surrounds research but looking around the room I would guess there were a lot of students asking a similar question, or with some reservations. It could be we are just worried our ability to do what we do will disappear if we take it apart, which is superstitious at best!

Tried to thrash it out with Dr. Buglear on my return and he seemed amused at my unease pointing out that the argument I was setting forth demonstrated I was using the methods of research (posing a specific question and then reacting to the answer in a way that allowed me to re-frame my initial proposition) I was questioning. Seeing it written down makes it seem silly that I am uncomfortable with the idea but I am. I have decided to make a decision in the light of this discussion and follow it through. I will accept the idea it is of value (as I have to research to pass...), throw myself into the reflective process and will see what tools it gives me. After all you have nothing to fear but fear itself and suck it and see is the way I have learnt so far.........wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment