Thursday 10 March 2011

A Frantic Month.

February is gone and was a whirlwind. The month was spent fleshing out what I will be doing this month and next and completing the second garment.

The programming was torturous in a number of ways. Sharon and I hit a wall with the computer pattern capacity and this meant some fancy footwork to circumnavigate the system. Eventually we did it and the pieces were knitted. All IMAGES ARE BEFORE WET FINISHING

COLLAR

BODY PANELS

INSIDE  OF BODY PIECE AFTER INITIAL CONSTRUCTION

FRONT OF BODY PIECE AFTER INITIAL CONSTRUCTION

INSIDE SHOT SHOWING ATTACHMENT OF COLLAR PANEL


OUTSIDE DETAIL OF GARMENT SHOWING FINISHED GARMENT LAID FLAT

INSIDE OF FINISHED GARMENT LAID FLAT

As you can see from the images these were very large pieces of fabric and do not in any way suggest they will be pieces for a garment to be worn by a normal height person. The very long piece is actually photographed hanging from the third floor balcony, and that is a collar panel...


The fear I had  [apart from had I made an insane mistake in my calculations....] was this garment wouldn't felt properly. I wanted to do it in the machine I had felted all the other pieces in as to change to a commercial machine at this stage would carry with it the risk I could over felt the garment or damage the fabric. However given the size of the pre-wet finished garment there was a real chance it would not have enough space to felt in my machine.

This time I got lucky, which given I am generally pretty risk adverse was an exceptional outcome. In fact I had the garment finished and ready to felt for a week before I decided to take the risk.

Next I have to get my head around the photo-shoot and the final garment....then it is just two written documents, my portfolio and and a conference paper and possibly a PhD application....OH DEAR...


No comments:

Post a Comment